We want you to have a BLAST on the 4th of July! Before you head out to enjoy the festivities, please review these important safety recommendations.
Legality of Fireworks
First, find out if fireworks are legal in your area. If they aren’t, follow the local laws and don’t use them. If they are permitted, carefully review safety issues with your family and friends before ever lighting a firework. Click here for a list of permitted fireworks (all categorized as sparklers) in the state of Florida. Only individuals or companies holding special permits may purchase or use any other types of fireworks. For details on other types of fireworks, click here.
Fireworks Safety Tips
Many injuries related to fireworks can be prevented each year by simply following the instructions on the fireworks and taking basic safety precautions. The National Council of Fireworks recommends the following:
- Stay a safe distance from the launch site of any fireworks.
- A sober, responsible adult should be in charge of fireworks. Never give fireworks to a child.
- Never use homemade fireworks.
- Do not carry fireworks in a pocket nor attempt to light in a container.
- Do not alter or combine purchased fireworks
- Follow all directions on fireworks. Never relight a firework, even if seems to be a dud. Soak it in water before throwing it in the garbage.
- Always use safety glasses and keep a bucket of water or hose nearby when lighting fireworks.
- Light fireworks on a clear, flat surface away from flammable materials or plants.
- Keep sparklers and all fireworks away from the body, clothing, and anything flammable.
Most animals are frightened at fireworks displays. Keep any pets indoors and away from fireworks. If possible, an adult should help calm the pet during fireworks displays.
Since many people enjoy outdoor BBQs for the holiday, be sure to remember the following tips during the day:
- Use family-friendly insect repellant to protect from mosquitoes.
- Protect the face and body with sunscreen, a hat, and limited direct sun
- Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration
- If food is outside at a BBQ, be careful of potential spoilage, especially with any mayonnaise-containing foods.
- If swimming, be sure to review safety tips related to the beach or swimming pool and enlist responsible adults to constantly watch any children near water. Click here.
If you have questions about the 4th of July safety or violation of the law, please contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. (954) 428-9333
For more information regarding fireworks in the state of Florida, visit the Division of the State Fire Marshal here.
Since 1990, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. has provided reputable legal representation to people throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties. The firm has helped thousands of individuals recover compensation from motor vehicle and boating accidents, slip and fall accidents, product defect and liability cases, pharmacy errors, and negligent security cases to cover medical expenses, pay bills, take care of their families, and return to work. Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help you get the relief you need to start living your life again after a serious injury. For a free and confidential consultation, contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A., at (954) 428-9333.