It’s hard to believe that the summer is coming to an end, and school starts in only a couple of weeks for most Florida elementary, middle, and high school students. While many students walk, ride bikes, or arrive at school by car, there are many children throughout the state who ride school buses each day.
School buses are among the safest forms of transportation for children. School buses are designed for safety and function. School bus drivers are trained and receive special medical and safety instruction. However, despite these safeguards, accidents can happen.
As we ease back into the school schedule, pay particular attention to safety around school buses and make sure school bus riders follow these important safety tips:
BUS RIDER SAFETY TIPS
- Don’t rush to the bus stop! Leave early and avoid potential accidents while crossing the street.
- Make sure you can hear and see moving traffic. Don’t wear hoods because this can limit your ability to hear.
- Be alert. Don’t be distracted by your phone, music or video games.
- Stay away from the street and don’t play around while waiting for the bus.
- Stay at least 5 giant steps away from the street and do not walk up to the bus until the driver has made a complete stop and makes eye contact with you.
- If you need to cross the street, make eye contact with the bus driver and wait for driver to indicate it’s safe to cross. Remember to look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
- Never walk behind the bus, near the wheels, or stop to pick up something near the bus. The driver cannot see you.
- Use the handrails on the steps and be careful of drawstrings or toggles hanging from backpacks that can get caught.
- Find a seat and sit down quickly.
- Listen to instructions from the bus driver and be respectful. Never put your head, arms, or anything out the window.
Adapted from the National Safety Council tips for school. For more information, visit http://www.nsc.org/act/events/Pages/keep-children-safe-at-school.aspx
DRIVER SAFETY TIPS
In addition to these important safety tips for bus riders, drivers should always be extra cautious in school zones and follow these tips:
- Carefully follow speed limits and stay alert for kids crossing the street.
- When approaching a school bus with flashing lights, slow down and stop until children have safely moved out of the street and the bus has turned off flashing lights.
Do you have questions about school bus or student safety?
Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can answer them. Contact us at (954) 428-9333 or www.goldmandaszkalcom.
Since 1990, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. has provided reputable legal representation to people throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties. The firm has helped thousands of individuals recover compensation from motor vehicle and boating accidents, slip and fall accidents, product defect and liability cases, pharmacy errors, and negligent security cases to cover medical expenses, pay bills, take care of their families, and return to work. Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help you get the relief you need to start living your life again after a serious injury. For a free and confidential consultation, contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A., at (954) 428-9333.