Drive Safely Work Week™ (DSWW) is happening now from October 2-6!
The campaign, sponsored by NETS (Network of Employees for Traffic Safety), is designed to guide employers across the country as they encourage their employees to focus on safe driving. The campaign is about eliminating distracted driving, reducing the risk of accidents, and saving lives.
As you probably know, distracted driving affects your reaction time and your ability to drive safely.
In 2015, nearly 3,500 people were killed in accidents involving distracted drivers. At least 14% of these accidents involved cell phone use, although the actual percent is probably higher due to underreporting.
Crashes also cost employers billions of dollars each year. In 2013, vehicle crashes cost employers over $37 billion. In a 2015 NETS report, distracted driving alone cost employers over $8 billion. In addition, vehicle accidents cost employers over 1.6 million of lost work days.
NETS offers the following recommendations for employees across the country:
- Take a moment to get focused and calm your mind before driving.
- Figure out your route before you start driving. If necessary, set up any navigation devices with oral instructions before moving the vehicle.
- Change up your route so that commuting is not boring.
- Don’t be tempted! Simply turn your phone OFF while driving. Keep it out of sight by placing your device in the center console or glove compartment.
- Watch ahead but also check the mirror frequently to stay alert and keep your mind focused.
- Keep a safe distance between vehicles. Keep at least 3 -4 seconds following distance in good weather and more in poor weather conditions, allowing for more reaction time.
- Ask others if they are driving before speaking with them. If the answer is yes, call them back when they reach their destination.
- Help others avoid the temptation: do not text someone if you know they are driving.
If you are an employer with a fleet of vehicles, register at trafficsafety.org and start helping your employees become safer drivers today.
Since 1990, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. has provided reputable legal representation to people throughout the state of Florida. The firm has helped thousands of individuals recover compensation from motor vehicle and boating accidents, slip and fall accidents, product defect and liability cases, pharmacy errors, and negligent security cases to cover medical expenses, pay bills, take care of their families, and return to work. Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help you get the relief you need to start living your life again after a serious injury. For a free and confidential consultation, contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A., at (954) 428-9333.