While partygoers nationwide are donning their bright green shirts and drinking chartreuse-tinted drinks at themed St. Patrick’s Day parties, law enforcement officers are prepared and out on the streets looking for drivers who should not be on the road.
There are a few specific days throughout the year that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) observes a spike in serious vehicle accidents and fatalities related to drunk driving. One of those spikes occurs in March each year — on St. Patrick’s Day.
According to the NHTSA, approximately 40% of all vehicle accident fatalities around St. Patrick’s Day in 2013 were linked to driving under the influence. Moreover, looking back at the statistics from 2009 to 2013, we can see that over 75% of the drunk driving fatalities involved drivers who had consumed at least double the legal limit of alcohol.
Here’s what you need to do before going out on St. Patrick’s Day:
- Make your Patrick’s Day plans and designate a safe, sober driver, also known as the Very Important Partygoer (VIP).
- Make sure your Uber or Lyft apps are ready to go just in case you need it. And you can always call a taxi.
- Before you drink, leave your keys with a responsible person who is not going to drink.
- Celebrate the person who agrees to be the designated driver. Instead of posting your own personal pictures or drinks, make the night about your Very Important Partygoer (VIP) on social media.
- Check on your other friends and family members to ensure they have a VIP and a clear plan in place to get home safely.
Keep in mind that if you have a party and alcohol is served, you could be liable if one of your partygoers ends up in a crash linked to driving under the influence. As an alternative, collect keys at your door and let guests stay or call a taxi or ride sharing service to get them home safely.
For St. Patrick’s Day and for every holiday, we encourage you to enjoy the celebrations, drink responsibly, and always have a sober way home.
Since 1990, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. has provided reputable legal representation to people throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties. The firm has helped thousands of individuals recover compensation from motor vehicle and boating accidents, slip and fall accidents, product defect and liability cases, pharmacy errors, and negligent security cases to cover medical expenses, pay bills, take care of their families, and return to work. Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help you get the relief you need to start living your life again after a serious injury. For a free and confidential consultation, contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A., at (954) 428-9333.