DASH CAMS: Best New Technology or Causes Distracted Driving?
No longer just for law enforcement, these cameras designed to be used on the dashboards of vehicles are popping up everywhere. On a recent shopping trip to Costco, I noticed dash cams displayed along the entrance aisle, next to all the other special promotions and holiday products.
Decent quality dash cams can be purchased for $100-150. More expensive models that cost up to $400 may include higher resolution video as well as GPS and/or built-in WIFI connectivity.
Thinking about purchasing a dash cam?
Before you buy, read these pros and cons about using dash cams in your vehicle.
DASH CAM PROS
- For truck drivers and others who want to protect their driving record, dash cams can be a great tool. The video recordings provided by dash cams can prove to be a great equalizer, showing exact footage of moments in question.
- Dash cams may actually prove to be a decent way to monitor teen drivers. Parents can get a clearer picture of how the teen drives (especially when parents are not in the car) and which techniques the teen needs to practice to become a safer driver. It can also be valuable as a teaching tool for teens to review their own driving mistakes.
- Eyewitness testimonies are often unreliable, especially when individuals are shaken up and emotional after an accident. Dash cams can provide an objective account of the what actually occurred during a vehicle accident. In addition to capturing the incident, the video may also show key details such as license plates and make and model of vehicles involved. This valuable video footage can be key for the police and your vehicle insurance company.
- When criminals seek crimes of opportunity including stealing vehicles, a camera propped on the dashboard recording each move can deter the criminal from breaking into and stealing your car.
- Dash cams can also provide peace of mind. When the vehicle is parked, a dash cam can provide a clear picture of what occurs when you’re not there. The dash cam can capture the clothing and faces of individuals vandalizing cars. In addition, if another vehicle hits your parked car, the dash cam recording can help you identify the driver and vehicle.
- When con artists attempt to stage an accident, a dash cam can help tell a true story of what happened. Dash cam footage can help the victim work with their attorney and insurance company to fight the fraudulent claims.
- Some insurance companies have even started to offer premium discounts for vehicles that use dash cams. Check with your insurance company to find out if you can benefit from this new program.
DASH CAM CONS
- In some states, it is legal to keep a dash cam on the dashboard or windshield of the vehicle for the purpose of recording occurrences. However, in other states, using a dash cam can be considered electronic eavesdropping, and recording individuals without their consent can be illegal.
- In most cases, the dash cam does not require any intervention once it’s set up. However, if you are trying to adjust the dash cam to capture something while you’re driving, the dash cam becomes a distraction and can actually cause an accident rather than prevent one.
- Older models of dash cams may simply stop recording when data memory is full. In order to be sure the device is recording, read the instructions carefully and keep track of the amount of recording memory.
- The dash cam doesn’t only record reckless driving of others, but it also records your own mistakes when you drive which can be used against you in a court of law.
What is your opinion? Are dash cams a great new technology or simply a big distraction? Let us know what you think.
Were you or a family member injured in a vehicle accident? Whether you were using a dash cam or not, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help. Contact us at (954) 428-9333 or www.goldmandaszkal.com.
Goldman & Daszkal, P.A.
Since 1990, Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. has provided reputable legal representation to people throughout Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties. The firm has helped thousands of individuals recover compensation from motor vehicle and boating accidents, slip and fall accidents, product defect and liability cases, pharmacy errors, and negligent security cases to cover medical expenses, pay bills, take care of their families, and return to work. Goldman & Daszkal, P.A. can help you get the relief you need to start living your life again after a serious injury. For a free and confidential consultation, contact Goldman & Daszkal, P.A., at (954) 428-9333.